- 400g bread flour
- 100g whole wheat flour
- 350g active sourdough starter
- 300g water
How to Make Dough For Sourdough Baguette
- Combine 400g of bread flour and 100g of whole wheat flour in a bowl.
- Add 350g of active starter and 300g of water. Mix until a shaggy dough forms.
- Allow the baguette dough to rest for 30 minutes, then add 9g of salt and 50g of water.
- Perform a series of stretch and folds over 2-3 hours to develop gluten.
- Let the dough bulk ferment at room temperature for 4-6 hours or until it has doubled in size.
How to Shape Sourdough Baguettes
- After bulk fermentation transfer the dough onto a lightly floured surface without deflating it. It’s time for shaping baguettes.
- Divide the dough into equal portions, depending on the desired size of your baguettes.
- Take one piece of dough and using lightly floured hands, gently shape the dough into a rough rectangle.
- Fold the top third of the dough down and the bottom third up, like folding a letter. pinch the seam to seal.
- With both hands, roll the dough gently back and form to elongate it into a log shape.
- Repeat this process for each piece of dough. Place the shaped baguettes onto a floured surface.
- Cover the shaped baguettes.
How to Proof and Bake Sourdough Baguettes
- Cover the baguette dough with a damp cloth or plastic wrap to prevent them from drying out. Let them proof at room temperature until they increase in size. This can take 1-2 hours depending on the ambient temperature and the activity of your sourdough starter. The baguettes should have a slightly puffy appearance and hold their shape when gently pressed.
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees F with a baking stone, or an upside-down baking sheet. Place a pan with water on the lower rack to create steam and help develop a crisp crust.
- Score the baguette using a sharp blade or bread lame.
- Carefully transfer the baguettes to a parchment-lined or well-floured peel Slide the baguettes onto the preheated baking stone or baking sheet in the oven.
- Bake the baguettes for 20-25 minutes, until they develop a beautiful golden-brown crust.
- Cuisine: French
Keywords: sourdough baguette