- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sourdough discard
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- pinch of dried rosemary
Making the Dough
- In a mixing bowl, combine the sourdough discard and olive oil.
- Gradually add the all-purpose flour and salt to the bowl. Mix until a dough forms.
- When the mixture resembles your typical dough, knead it lightly for a couple of minutes until it becomes smooth and uniform.
- Shape the dough into a ball. Cover it with plastic wrap or a damp cloth, then let it rest at room temperature for about 30 minutes.
Preparing the Dough
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- While waiting for the oven to heat, line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Then, on a floured surface, roll out the risen dough as thinly as possible.
- Transfer the rolled-out dough onto the prepared baking sheet.
- If you want to add any optional seasonings, this is the time to sprinkle them over the dough and lightly press them in.
- Use a pizza cutter (or a sharp knife, if you don’t have one) to cut the dough into thin strips. You can also cut them into squares, for a more traditional cracker look.
- Prick each cracker with a fork to prevent excessive puffing during baking.
Baking the Crackers
- Bake the crackers in the preheated oven for about 15-20 minutes, or until they turn golden brown and crispy. Keep a close eye, as baking times may vary depending on thickness.
- Once baked, remove the crackers from the oven. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool. They will become even crispier as they cool down.
- If the dough is too sticky, add a little more flour. Incorporate the flour one tablespoon at a time, until the dough has the right consistency and becomes easy to handle.
- If you want thinner crackers, you can divide the dough into smaller portions and roll them out separately.
- Feel free to get creative with the seasonings and toppings.
- Store the completely cooled sourdough crackers in an airtight container to maintain their crispness.
- Prep Time: 40 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: bread
Keywords: sourdough crackers