For the pancake
- 260g all-purpose flour
- 150g sourdough starter discard
- 155g boiling water
- 50g toasted sesame oil
- 2 cups thinly sliced scallions
- 50g light olive oil or vegetable oil
- Pinch of salt
For the dipping sauce
- 30g soy sauce
- 30g black vinegar or rice vinegar with 2 tbsp of balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp finely sliced scallions
- 1 small clove of garlic smashed and minced
- ½ tsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp chili
- In a food processor combine flour and sourdough discard.
- Gradually add the boiling water whilst stirring the ingredients in the food processor, stopping once the dough comes together.
- Transfer the dough to a flat surface and knead the dough for a few minutes. Cover the dough and let it rest at room temperature for half an hour.
- Chop the green parts of the scallions, avoiding the white parts entirely, as these may tear the dough.
- While the dough rests, combine the ingredients for the dipping sauce.
- Divide the dough into 4 or 5 pieces then knead them into balls. Prepare a damp cloth and cover the dough you’re not working with. Place a small bowl with sesame oil and a basting brush beside you.
- Using a rolling pin, roll one of the dough balls into a thin circle. Avoid using any flour during this process. Brush the sesame oil all over the dough circle and roll it up like a pencil.
- Spiral the dough into a snail shape, then dampen the end of the spiral so that it sticks and doesn’t unravel. Use your palm to gently press down on the entire spiral.
- Place the spiral under the towel, then repeat the process with the remaining dough balls.
- Roll one of the spirals into a thin circle, then spread sesame oil on the dough and spread chopped scallions over it. Roll the dough into a pencil then spiral it into a snail shape. Dampen the end of the spiral, and press down on the ends.
- Place the double-rolled and scallion-filled spiral under the towel, then repeat with the other dough spirals.
- Heat cooking oil in a nonstick pan over medium heat. Meanwhile, prepare a plate or cooling rack with paper towels spread across it.
- Roll one of the spirals flat and gently lower it into the hot oil. Cook for 2 minutes per side, and carefully flip the pancake with a pair of tongs.
- While one pancake fries, roll out the next spiral. Once the pancake has turned a lovely golden brown shade, sprinkle the cooked pancake with salt.
- Cut the pancakes into wedges, and serve alongside the dipping sauce.
- Cook Time: 4 mins
- Cuisine: Asian
Keywords: sourdough scallion