Looking for creative ways to make delicious apple-flavored desserts? Then try these crispy sourdough apple fritters for a burst of delightful flavors at every bite!
Table of Contents
- What Are Apple Fritters?
- Sourdough Apple Fritters Recipe
- Sourdough Fritters Made With Yeast-Risen Dough
- Sourdough Apple Fritters
What Are Apple Fritters?
Apple fritters are apple doughnuts (with rings or otherwise) dusted with a light batter, and coated in cinnamon sugar. They’re often served warm with a drizzle of sweet syrup or ice cream.
Apple fritters are a quick and easy homemade dessert, enriched with cinnamon sugar.
Why Make Sourdough Apple Fritters?
The real question is, why wouldn’t you want to make the? We’ve come so far in our sourdough baking and experimentation, that there’s so much more we need to discover! These sourdough apple fritters are a leap from ordinary sourdough bread for sure, and they’re brimming with flavors!
You can easily make these sweet treats with a sourdough starter or discard them depending on the time you wish to spend on these treats. I like to use a sourdough discard simply because it’s quick, and easy, and produces wonderfully fried apple fritters complete with a subtle sourdough taste.
Sourdough Apple Fritters Recipe
Deep-fried sourdough apple fritters make the ultimate comfort snack. While they’re not exactly healthy, they are absolutely delicious, and a great way to make use of any excess sourdough discard.
Take a look at the full recipe below!
- 2 diced Honeycrisp fresh apples
- 300g sourdough discard
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp clove
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 cups of canola oil (for frying)
- 120g confectioners sugar
- 1 tbsp Bourbon
- 3 to 4 tbsp heavy cream
- Peel and dice the apples into small ½-inch pieces. In a medium bowl, add the discarded sourdough starter, with cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, and salt. Add the apples, and baking soda, then mix thoroughly.
- In a deep pan, heat canola oil to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a sheet pan with paper towels, to absorb the oil once the apple fritters are fried.
- Meanwhile, prepare the icing so that you can add this to your piping hot fritters. In a small bowl, combine sugar, bourbon, and heavy cream. Whisk until the mixture achieves a silky smooth consistency, then set this aside.
- Carefully scoop spoonfuls of apple fritter batter into the hot oil. Deep-fry fritters in small batches. Cook the sourdough apple fritters for about one minute per side over high heat occasionally adjusting the stove to medium heat, to avoid burning.
- Remove the fritters from the pan, and drop them onto the paper towels. Repeat until the batter has finished.
- Drizzle the icing over the hot golden brown fritters and serve immediately. You can even top your fritters with powdered sugar if you fancy.
Sourdough Fritters Made With Yeast-Risen Dough
These sourdough apple fritters are made with a yeast-risen dough and deep-fried to perfection. They’re incredibly crisp and sweet, complete with a divine apple filling.
For the sourdough batter
- 250ml milk
- 68g butter
- 480g all-purpose flour
- 1 pack of Instant sourdough
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- Vegetable oil
For the cinnamon apples
- 42g butter
- 4 medium apples
- ¼ granulated sugar
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 640g powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp. pure maple syrup
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup boiling water
- Heat milk, and butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat until the butter has melted. Let the buttery mixture cool for 5 minutes.
- In a stand mixer bowl fitted with a dough hook, combine 2 cups of flour, instant sourdough, salt, and sugar.
- Add the warmed butter and milk mixture, followed by the eggs, and mix until you’ve achieved a wet dough.
- Add the rest of the flour, ¼ cup at a time while kneading the dough on medium-low speed. You may not need 4 whole cups of flour.
- Continue to knead the dough until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and place the dough in a warm place to rise and double for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile melt butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add apples, sugar, and cinnamon until the sugar has dissolved.
- Cook the apples for 7 minutes until the apples are softened and the juices have thickened. Set this aside to cool.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a large rectangle.
- Spread cinnamon apples over one-half of the dough lengthwise.
- Fold the other half of the dough over the apples. Use a bench scraper to cut the dough and apples into strips. Cut the dough and apples at a slanted angle, until you’re looking at uneven chunks of dough. Gather the dough chunks and apples back into a row.
- Divide the row into 15 even portions, and use your hands to smash the dough and apples of each portion together, so that they stick together and hold. Flatten and shape each piece into a disk. Place the apple-doughed disks on parchment paper.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let this rise for another half an hour.
- Meanwhile, add vegetable oil to a pot set over medium-high heat and heat the oil to 375 degrees F. Once the oil is nice and hot it’s time to fry your doughy fritters.
- Remove the fritters from the oil, and transfer them to a plate lined with paper towels.
- You can prepare the glaze while the heat oils. Simply combine powdered sugar, maple syrup, salt, vanilla, and booking water in a medium bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Dip the warm fritters in the glaze, flipping them so that they’re nicely coated.
- Transfer these sticky sweet apple fritters to a wire rack. Enjoy for breakfast or as a quick snack-time treat!
Sourdough Apple Fritters
These sourdough discard apple fritters may become a household favorite after your first fry!
And if you love these, you should definitely try these scrumptious sourdough discard recipes for more inspiration!
Are Fritters Made From Batter or Dough?
Fritters are generally made from a thin batter, that is often deep-fried till golden and sublime. Additionally, you can choose to make fritters from dough as well.
Why Are My Apple Fritters Greasy?
If your fritters are greasy, it may be due to the fact that the fat is too cold or the oil hasn’t been drained from them before eating.
Is an Apple Fritter a Donut or Pastry?
An apple fritter is a deep-fried pastry made with flour, eggs, sugar, cinnamon, apples, and other ingredients.