The best kind of cake is a moist one, so imagine the scrumptious flavors you’ll detect when you take a bite out of our moist sourdough bundt cake! Stick around for the recipe.
Table of Contents
- Tips For The Best Bundt Cake
- What Does This Sourdough Bundt Cake Taste Like?
- What Is a Bundt Cake?
- Sourdough Bundt Cake
Sourdough Pumpkin Bundt Cake Recipe
This scrumptious sourdough cake makes the perfect centerpiece for your dinner table. You can serve this for dessert, or as a treat for your guests, depending on the occasion, and they won’t be disappointed!
- Total Time: 2 hrs 15 mins
- Yield: 16 slices 1x
For the cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
Pumpkin Spice mix
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 15 oz can of pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 3/4 cup of sourdough starter discard
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 oz chocolate chips
For the glaze
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 to 2 tablespoons of milk to achieve a good consistency for the glaze
- 6-cup bundt pan – if you don’t have one of these, then you can use a round cake pan, muffin pan, or pie pan.
- Mini loaf pan, set of 4 – or a sheet pan.
- Baking spray – you can use butter or olive oil if you don’t have any.
- Half-sheet baking pan – or aluminum foil
- Sifter – or a wire whisk.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a small 6-cup bundt pan with baking spray, or coat with butter.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and your pumpkin spice mix.
- In a medium bowl, combine pumpkin, sourdough discard, eggs, sugar, brown sugar, oil, and vanilla extract. Add in the pumpkin spice mix, then fold in the chocolate chips.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared bundt pan, taking care to not overfill it. Any excess can be placed in a mini loaf pan. Place the pans on a half-sheet baking pan so that you can easily transport them to the oven. Bake the cake for 40-50 minutes. The smaller cake will take 20-25 minutes to bake.
- Remove the cakes from the oven, and let them cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Then transfer to a cooling rack.
- Sift the powdered sugar into a small bowl. Add the cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves, then whisk until well combined. Add 1 tablespoon of milk, stirring to combine. You can adjust the consistency to your liking, by adding 1 teaspoon of milk or adding more powdered sugar as and when needed.
- Drizzle the wonderful glaze over the bundt cakes, then serve and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 1 hr
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: dessert
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 259kcal
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 40g
- Protein: 3g
Tips For The Best Bundt Cake
Before you bake, it’s important to ensure that your bakes will guarantee success. Some of these tips will help you!
- Don’t overmix the batter. Only mix until each ingredient is well integrated.
- Use room temperature ingredients. Eggs and sourdough discard should rest at room temperature for at least 30 minutes before you begin prepping your recipe.
- If you don’t have a sourdough starter or discard then you can simply substitute it with some flour and yogurt, for similar flavors.
- For the glaze, you can alternate between a thin or thicker glaze depending on how you want your cake to taste.
- The recipe may make more cake batter than your 6-cup bundt pan can hold. This is why it’s best to have a muffin pan at hand for the remaining batter and to minimize waste.
What Does This Sourdough Bundt Cake Taste Like?
If you’re using an active sourdough starter, then this cake will impart a mild sourdough flavor. However, in my recipe, the flavors are very subtle and blend well with the other ingredients, making it a deliciously moist, and flavorful cake.
What Is a Bundt Cake?
A bundt cake is a type of cake that is baked in a bundt pan. The pan creates a slightly overturned doughnut shape and was inspired by a traditional European cake. It can be any sort of flavor you fancy, from chocolate to pumpkin spice, the flavors are entirely in your hands!
How to Use a Sourdough Discard to Make a Great Bundt Cake?
Your sourdough discard contributes to both texture and flavor in this scrumptious recipe. A rip and unfed sourdough starter provides a distinct tangy flavor to your cake, while a recently fed starter provides a more mild flavor. Ensure that your discard is kept at room temperature as your other ingredients.
Sourdough Bundt Cake
If you love to use sourdough discard in your sourdough dessert recipes, then why not head over to our best article yet? Sourdough discard recipes will have your mouth watering and palms itching in anticipation for the next scrumptious bake!
On a dessert spree? Try this awesome butterscotch cake!
Why Bake a Cake With Sourdough Discard?
Baking with sourdough discard is especially rewarding. Mainly because you get to use up your extra sourdough discard for amazing recipes like these. The sourdough discard provides a wonderful texture and unique flavor that is absolutely unmissable, and incredibly delicious.
How to Prevent a Bundt Cake From Sticking?
Use a non-stick pan, and grease the pan, don’t flour the pan, but coat it in butter, and loosen the edges of the cake when you remove it from the oven.