You’ve heard of banana muffins, but have you tried sourdough banana muffins? While they may taste quite similar to ordinary muffins, there is a slight tanginess to these little baked delights that doesn’t go unnoticed. And if you adore sourdough bread as much as I do, you’ll find yourself stretching your hands out for more of these little tasty treats! Don’t worry though, these muffins are incredibly quick and easy to prepare, stay tuned for the recipe!
Table of Contents
- Why Use Sourdough Discard in Baking?
- Can You Make Banana Muffins With Sourdough Discard?
- How to Make Sourdough Banana Muffins
- Alternative Flavor Ideas for Banana Sourdough Muffins
- How to Store Sourdough Banana Muffins?
- Sourdough Banana Muffins – Yum!
- Sourdough Banana Muffin FAQs
Why Use Sourdough Discard in Baking?
Sourdough starter discard, is a small portion of sourdough starter that you remove before feeding your starter. This is an essential process to ensure a flourishing starter.
Though the discard is typically thrown away, some prefer to keep their discarded starter in a separate jar, to be included in sourdough discard recipes.
Sourdough discard imparts a wonderful tangy flavor, which can be used in baking; added in place of flour, water or other liquids that the recipe would normally call for.
Discarded sourdough is great when used to make crackers, cakes or muffins! Some other examples of things you can make with sourdough discard:
- Sourdough Discard Cinnamon Rolls
- Sourdough Discard English Muffins
- Sourdough Discard Pancakes
- Sourdough Discard Dinner Rolls
- Sourdough Discard Bagels
Can You Make Banana Muffins With Sourdough Discard?
You can certainly make banana sourdough muffins with sourdough discard.
Before feeding your starter with equal parts of fresh flour and water, remove half of the starter and transfer this into a separate jar. This jar is now your sourdough discard and should be kept in the fridge for a month.
Once you’ve managed to accumulate enough discard for your recipes you can use them in almost anything. Not only is it an exceptional element in making baked goods rise, but it also provides a wonderful flavour and texture to them as well, delighting your taste buds in more ways than one!
You can make anything you wish from sourdough banana bread to a batch of irresistible sourdough banana muffins.
How to Make Sourdough Banana Muffins
These sourdough banana nut muffins are particularly addicting, coupled with a perfectly moist texture with just a hint of sourdough flavour. The basic ingredients involve:
- Sourdough Discard – This is a key ingredient for delicious sourdough banana muffins.
- Brown Sugar – You can use dark brown or light brown sugar depending on your preference.
- Bananas – Make sure that your bananas are very ripe, preferably speckled with black. Contrary to what you may think, these mushy bananas are much sweeter than fresh bananas. You can also use frozen bananas, however, you’ll need to thaw them beforehand.
- ½ cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- 2 ripe mashed bananas
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup sourdough starter (unfed discard)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup chopped nuts
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Meanwhile, lightly grease your muffin cups or line them with muffin pan liners.
- In a large bowl, gently fold butter and sugar, mixing until you achieve a smooth consistency. You can use a hand mixer set at low speed for this step.
- Stir in the mashed bananas, honey, eggs, vanilla extract, sourdough discard, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Combine these ingredients until silky smooth, apart from a few lumps of banana. Add all-purpose flour, a little at a time, stirring in between. Add chocolate chips and chopped nuts.
- Pour the sourdough banana muffins mixture into the prepared muffin pan or muffin tin, filling them all the way to the top, and bake at 350°F for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the muffin comes out clean.
- Allow the sourdough banana nut muffins to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Alternative Flavor Ideas for Banana Sourdough Muffins
These sourdough banana muffins are certainly delightful in terms of taste and simplicity. However, it’s never too late to experiment with different flavor variations, especially when added to these banana muffins, promising to produce something equally as unique and delicious.
Here are some ideas for you to try!
- Banana Coconut Muffins
- Banana Pecan Muffins
- Honey & Cinnamon
- White Chocolate
- Blueberry Banana Sourdough Muffins
- Almond Crunch
- Peanut Butter
- Brown Sugar & Walnut Muffins
- Banana Crunch
- Cocoa Powder
- Zucchini Sourdough Muffins
Banana Coconut Muffins
If you want to add a hint of coconutty flavour to your muffins, then simply add 100g of shredded coconut to the dry ingredients. You could add a sprinkle of shredded coconut on top of each muffin before baking, for a wonderful charred coconut delight.
Banana Pecan Muffins
If you’re a fan of pecan pastry, you’re going to love these banana pecan muffins.
Add 100g of chopped or whole pecans to the dry ingredients, then combine the wet and dry ingredients together and bake for a delightful treat.
Honey & Cinnamon
Add 40g of honey to the wet ingredients, followed by a tablespoon of ground cinnamon to the dry ingredients. Add some chopped walnuts to the mix for a delicious breakfast treat.
White chocolate adds a further sweetness to the already scrumptious muffins. Add 100g of white chocolate chips to the mix, and for an even sweeter taste, add a dribble of melted white chocolate over the tops of your cooled muffins.
Blueberry Banana Sourdough Muffins
Blueberry muffins are incredible, so why not incorporate blueberries into these banana muffins?
Simply add 100g of frozen blueberries to the dry ingredients, you can also opt for dried blueberries instead.
Almonds are always welcomed in most recipes, and this is where you’ll need them. Top your muffins with some thinly sliced almonds, before placing them into the oven to bake.
Add a powdered sugar glaze if you wish, once they’ve cooled down, for a sticky, sweet, nutty treat.
Peanut butter will always have a special place in my heart, which is why you mustn’t miss the opportunity of adding 100g of peanut butter chips to the batter.
While the muffins are baking in the oven, warm 50g of peanut butter and add it to 50g of powdered sugar, adding a little water to thin the mixture.
Drizzle this marvelous peanut butter glaze over the delicious muffins for a treat that will delight your taste buds!
Brown Sugar & Walnut Muffins
Follow the sourdough banana muffins recipe, then before adding the muffins to the oven, add handfuls of chopped walnuts and brown sugar atop each muffin.
These scrumptious sourdough banana muffins just became extra delicious, with the addition of crunchy banana chips. Coat this in a powdered sugar glaze for an elevated sweetness.
A dash of cocoa powder will transform these banana muffins into chocolate banana muffins. Add 20g of cocoa powder to the dry ingredients, along with some chocolate chips for an extra snack time treat.
Zucchini Sourdough Muffins
These zucchini muffins are exceptional, adding beautiful textures, to your already fantastic recipe. The zucchini won’t contribute to flavors, so you don’t have to worry about the supposed veggie taste.
Squeeze out the liquid of grated zucchini, and add about 100g to your wet ingredients.
How to Store Sourdough Banana Muffins?
Muffins freeze well. Whether they’re frozen in Ziploc bags or an airtight container, just make sure that they are defrosted at room temperature before devouring.
Sourdough Banana Muffins – Yum!
Try these simple sourdough banana muffins recipes and enjoy them for breakfast or snack time! If you’re feeling particularly adventurous, you can also add a few of your own flavourful variations to the mix, forb a decadent batch of aromatic muffins, that’ll have your neighbours at your front door, demanding a bite!
Sourdough Banana Muffin FAQs
Are Sourdough Muffins Healthy?
Since sourdough starter is a natural leavening agent, it counts as a healthy ingredient, but if you’re looking to make healthy sourdough muffins, then choose ingredients like: whole wheat white flour, or all purpose flour.
Are Banana Muffins Healthy?
Banana muffins are a good source of fiber, vitamin B-6 and vitamin C. Using whole wheat flour in this recipe will increase the amount of vitamins and minerals including fiber and protein.
What is Sourdough Discard?
Sourdough discard is a small portion of sourdough starter that is discarded. This process is conducted before feeding, to manage its growth, and refresh its acidity levels.