These delicious homemade sourdough hot dog buns are super easy to make, filled with flavorful grilled meats that’ll have you devouring one after another. These sourdough hot dog rolls are quite sturdy, allowing you to slide in your meats, whether its succulent meatballs, sausages and more. And here’s how to make this hot dog buns recipe.
Is it Better to Use Starter or Discard?
These sourdough hot dog buns are completely different from regular hot dog buns, because the recipe includes a sourdough starter. Whether you prefer to use an active starter or discard, the process is almost exactly the same, with slight adjustments to the timing of course.
Ingredients for Sourdough Hot Dog Buns
- 1/2 cup Leavening Agent – The leavening agent in these sourdough hot dog buns is an active sourdough starter. The starter should be active and fed. If your starter has been refrigerated, ensure that you take it out a few hours before you feed it so that it doubles in volume before it’s ready to use. You can also use active dry yeast instead of the sourdough starter if you wish.
- 3 cups Flour – You can use regular all-purpose flour for this recipe.
- 1 cup Milk – Whole milk makes sourdough hot dog buns incredibly soft and delicious. The milk will also tackle the sour elements from the sourdough starter. Ensure that the milk is at room temperature.
- 2 tbsp Butter – The butter should be soft to the touch, so that it’s easier to incorporate into the dough.
- 4 tbsp Milk Powder – Provides the hot dog buns with a soft, richer flavor.
How to Make Homemade Hot Dog Buns
Sourdough hamburger buns are quite simple to make, and as long as you begin with good dough, the rest should follow along smoothly.
- Start by combining all purpose flour, milk powder, salt and sugar in the bowl of your stand mixer, and add the dough hook attachment.
- Now add the starter (or discard), melted butter and milk
- Knead the dough on low speed until a smooth dough has formed. Briefly touch the dough, and ensure that it doesn’t stick to your fingers.
- Transfer the dough to a greased bowl, and cover with a plastic wrap. Let the dough bulk rise for 2 hours, and then place it in the fridge to cold rise overnight
- Remove the dough and tip it onto your work surface. Divide the dough into 8 equal parts.
- Shape each dough section into a long roll.
- Place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper
- Cover with a kitchen towel and let it proof in a warm place for a few hours until they double in size
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Bake the hot dog buns until they’re golden brown.
- Brush these sourdough hot dog buns with melted butter once you remove them from the oven
- Transfer the buns to a cooling rack and let them cool for 10 minutes before filling.
Sourdough Buns Recipe Tips
While these rolls are pretty simple to make, there are a few things you can do to ensure they turn out perfect every time.
- This recipe can be fermented overnight to make the most out of the health benefits provided from the sourdough starter.
- Ensure that your starter is nice and bubbly, as this is what will give your dough rise.
- Allow the dough to double on the first rise, and ensure they become nice and puffy after the second rise.
- When you place the dough on a baking tray, allow them to sit at room temperature for a bit, as this will help them maintain their shape when baked.
- Brush the buns with milk before baking to ensure a wonderful color and texture.
- If your bund are not rising, this could be a due to over-proofed or under proofed dough. Moreover, the temperature could have been too cold during rising.
Vegan Sourdough Hot Dog Buns
If you wish to make these sourdough hot dog rolls vegan, you can easily substitute ingredients for this:
- Swap the milk for soy milk, or oat milk. Ensure that your milk is warm before you add sugar and yeast to it.
- Use vegan butter in the dough.
- Brush the buns with vegan butter once they’re cooked to keep them soft.
Ways to Use Sourdough Hot Dog Buns
While sourdough hot dog buns are perfect for hot dogs, they’re also delicious when served in a variety of ways, including:
- Slice the rolls open, add mayonnaise, cranberry relish, sliced turkey and brie cheese.
- Cut the rolls in half and place them face up on to a baking tray. Add pizza sauce, cheese, and pepperoni and now you have pizza subs! (Though if you want to try sourdough pizza, we’ve got a recipe for that, too!)
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese, and Italian herbs before baking to turn them into meatball subs.
Can You Freeze Sourdough Hot Dog Buns
You can certainly freeze sourdough hot dog buns.
Simply place 6 to 8 fresh buns or rolls into a freezer bag, and seal it up. The rolls will last in the freezer for up to 6 months.
When you’re ready to use them, leave them at room temperature to defrost, spray with eater and place them in a warm oven to refresh them.
Delicious Sourdough Hotdog Buns are Just a Trial Away!
Using a sourdough starter to create hot dog buns for hot dogs is an incredible way to include unique flavors into the mix. The starter is an essential ingredient in this sourdough recipe, which makes it much more tastier compared to regular hot dog buns. Enjoy these delicious buns with your favorite fillings, for a tasty meal.
You can use whole wheat, sourdough bread or whole grain bread for hot dog buns.
Use dough that has been proofed overnight, and flatten the dough. Divide the dough into 12 portions then roll each individual dough, and tuck the edges in to form a cylinder shape, about 5 inches long and 1 inch wide.
Replace some of your water with milk and add a little butter to the dough. This will provide you with a lighter, fluffier textured bread.