Many of us avoid our favorite foods when following a strict diet, in an attempt to lose weight. But what if I told you that there was a way to enjoy your favorite snacks at any time of day, whilst losing weight. If you love cookies, you’re going to love these sourdough discard oatmeal cookies. Indulge in these sweet, tangy cookies that promise deliciousness, all in one healthy treat!
Table of Contents
- How to Store Sourdough Oatmeal Cookies
- What is Sourdough Discard?
- Other Sourdough Discard Recipes
- Scrumptious and Healthy Sourdough Cookies
- 1 cup softened butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup white cane sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup sourdough discard
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 1 ½ cup seedless raisins
- 3 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone liner.
- Add butter to a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Whip the butter on medium-high speed until it’s nice and fluffy. Stop and scrape down the sides of the mixer bowl, during this process.
- Add brown sugar and white sugar to the stand mixer, and merge the sugar and butter until they’re light and fluffy.
- Add the egg, and egg yolk to the buttery sugar mixture, followed by the vanilla extract. Beat on medium speed, until the egg is fully incorporated into the mix.
- Add the sourdough discard, and mix again.
- In a separate bowl, add flour, salt, baking soda, nutmeg and cinnamon. Whisk to combine.
- Add the dry ingredient mixture to the wet ingredients and mix on medium speed until well combined.
- Add the raisins, and walnuts to the cookie dough, mixing till everything has evenly distributed.
- Add the old fashioned rolled oats, mix until combined, but take care to not overmix the cookie dough. The cookie dough should easily stick together when rolled into a ball.
- Use a cookie scoop or tablespoon to separate the cookie dough into 1 ½ inch dough balls.
- Place these dough balls on 2 prepared cookie sheets, around 2-inches apart. Bake the first cookie sheet in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes, or until the edges have browned slightly. Remove the cookies from the oven and bake the next prepped cookie sheet.
- Allow your cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 2-5 minutes, then transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool.
- Cook Time: 12 mins
- Category: dessert
Keywords: sourdough oatmeal cookies
These sourdough oatmeal cookies are entirely customizable.
Here are some mix-in ideas for you to add to your delicious recipes:
- Chocolate chips – Try a variety of flavors like butterscotch, peanut butter, or caramel.
- Nuts – Walnuts, cashews, pistachios or pecans, work well for this recipe.
- Dried fruit – Raisins are the popular choice, but you can try craisins, dried coconut, dried mango, pineapple, or anything else you can think of!
- Candy – Try including some of your favorite chopped candy to this recipe.
How to Store Sourdough Oatmeal Cookies
Any leftover sourdough oatmeal cookies should be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 4 days.
Unbaked cookie dough can be frozen for up to 3 months before use. Simply place the cookie dough balls on a parchment lined baking sheet and freeze until the dough is solid. After that, remove the frozen dough balls and transfer to a Ziploc bag.
Once you’re ready to bake, remove them from the freezer, let them sit at room temperature while your oven preheats, then bake and enjoy!
What is Sourdough Discard?
Sourdough discard, is a portion of your sourdough starter that is discarded before feeding. Some bakers choose to keep their sourdough discard in a separate jar, instead of disposing of it completely.
The discarded portion of sourdough starter imparts a wonderful, fruity, tangy flavor, that melds beautifully when added to baked goods. From cookies to cakes and muffins, a little sourdough discard can amplify any sweet treat you desire!
Baking With Sourdough Discard
Sourdough discard adds a wonderful tangy flavor to any recipe. These oatmeal cookies are particularly delicious, due to the elevated flavors. From the slight twang of the discard, nipping past the sugary sweetness of these scrumptious sourdough oatmeal cookies.
You can bake a batch of these cookies using the discard straight from the fridge.
Other Sourdough Discard Recipes
- Sourdough discard bagels recipe
- Sourdough discard waffles recipe
- Sourdough discard cinnamon rolls
- Sourdough desserts
Scrumptious and Healthy Sourdough Cookies
For a fantastic breakfast time treat, try these healthy sourdough oatmeal cookies and you won’t be disappointed.
Can I Eat Sourdough and Lose Weight?
Sourdough-leavened whole meal bread can help you lose weight, and this is due to the combined glycemic index.
Is Oatmeal Cookie Good for Diet?
Oatmeal cookies are definitely a good snack to have for a diet, due to their high fiber content compared to normal cookies.
Can I Eat Cookies Everyday and Still Lose Weight?
You can certainly lose a few pounds while still being able to eat cookies. Remember to pay attention to the amount of calories you’d like to eat everyday, before indulging.