When you’re craving something healthy and sweet, try this brilliant, and delicious sourdough cranberry bread. Featuring a good variety of dried fruits, earthy walnuts, and an orange for one of your five a day!
Table of Contents
- What is Cranberry Walnut Bread?
- Other Sourdough Recipes
- Scrummy Sourdough Cranberry Bread
- Cranberry Walnut Sourdough Bread – FAQs
For the Leaven
- 20g starter
- 30g bread flour
- 20g whole wheat flour
- 50g water
For the Dough
- 94g sourdough starter
- 330g bread flour
- 70g whole wheat flour
- 30g rye flour
- 90g walnuts
- 60g craisins
- 310g water
- 30g orange juice
- Zest of one orange
- 9g salt
Make a leaven
- Make your dough, by combining 2 tablespoons of unfed sourdough starter with 50g of water, 30 of bread flour, and 20g of whole wheat flour. Combine these ingredients until there are no lumps left in the flour. Cover with a plastic wrap and let this sit for 4 hours, or until it has doubled in volume.
- After 4 hours have passed, mix all three flours in 300g of water in a large bowl. Mix this by hand, until no dry bits are remaining. Knead for 1 to 2 minutes, then cover and rest for an hour.
- After autolyze is complete, add this to the dough. Then add salt, mix and cover the dough and set aside.
Stretch and fold
- Then stretch and fold the dough for 2 hours after every hour. Grab the underside of the dough, stretching it up and over itself.
- Meanwhile, soak the craisins in the orange juice and set them aside. Once they’re ready for the dough, you’ll need to drain the orange juice.
- Once you’ve performed the last stretch on the dough, it’s time to spread the dough into a thin sheet, and fold it into a letter-shaped fold. Then add your orange zest, walnuts and craisins to the letter-shaped dough.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface and shape it into a round boule. Then place the cranberry dough seam side up in to a proofing basket lined with flour.
- Let the cranberry walnut dough rise overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 475 degrees F, meanwhile, remove the dough from the proofing basket and score. Then transfer the dough to a Dutch oven and close the lid, and place it into the preheated oven.
- After 25 minutes, remove the lid of the Dutch oven and rotate the pan. Continue the bake for a further 35 minutes, until the crust has caramelized.
- Remove the bread from the oven, transfer to a wire rack, allow the cranberry walnut bread to cool down completely before slicing and serving.
- For this sourdough recipe, we’re going to combine cranberry and orange to create a sweet bread delight. It’s important to soak your dried cranberries in orange juice, to extract the tangy, sweet flavors before adding them to your dough.
- You’re also going to need a Dutch oven for sourdough baking.
- Cook Time: 1 hr
- Category: bread
Keywords: sourdough walnut cranberry bread
What is Cranberry Walnut Bread?
Cranberry walnut bread is a soft, chewy and slightly sweet yeast bread, flavored with dried cranberries and toasted walnuts. Cranberry bread can be served like any sandwich bread, toasted and slathered in butter, perfect for any time of the day.
Other Sourdough Recipes
If you’re a fan of sweet sourdough discard recipes, then you’ll love these:
Scrummy Sourdough Cranberry Bread
The secret to a delicious loaf is precision, patience, and of course love for sourdough baking. When you have your mature starter, there’s no telling what you can make with it. Experiment with a variety of ideas, to produce a bunch of scrummy treats, for you and your family to enjoy!
Cranberry Walnut Sourdough Bread – FAQs
How do You Eat Costco Cranberry Walnut Bread?
The Costco cranberry bread is a premade bread that you can eat however you like. You can toast the bread and enjoy with butter, or make a delicious sweet cranberry sandwich.
What is San Francisco Style Sourdough?
Black canyon sourdough bread is a San Francisco style sourdough bread, which is basically a French bread made with a sourdough culture.
Can I Add Oil to My Sourdough Bread?
You can add olive oil to your sourdough bread, and this will result in a softer crust and crumb.