Lemons are amazing and incredibly useful, you can add a drizzle of lemon juice to just about anything! And this scrumptious sourdough lemon cake is no exception. So gather your ingredients and get ready, because you’re in for a yummy treat!
Table of Contents
- Glazed Lemon Sourdough Pound Cake Recipe
- Tips For The Best Sourdough Cake
- More Sourdough Recipes
- Sourdough Lemon Cake – FAQs
Glazed Lemon Sourdough Pound Cake Recipe
This tongue-tingling glazed sourdough lemon cake is simply to die for. Topped with a delicious lemony glaze to enhance the wonderful lemons within the cake. This sourdough pound cake will quickly become a household favorite, so much so that you’ll find yourself baking it more often!
- Total Time: 11 minute
- Yield: 1 cake 1x
- 1 cup spelt flour
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup butter
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup full fat yogurt
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup sourdough starter
- Lemon zest
- ½ cup and 2 tbsp of lemon juice
- Lemon icing
For the glaze
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly grease a 9-inch loaf pan with butter.
- Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a medium-sized bowl.
- Using an electric mixer, cream the butter and brown sugar for 3-5 minutes until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Beat in the room temperature eggs, one at a time.
- Once the eggs have been added, add room-temperature maple syrup, yogurt, sourdough starter, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
- Gradually fold in the dry ingredients until well incorporated. Pour this into your greased, prepared pan and bake for 60-65 minutes. Test the pound cake after 55 minutes using a toothpick or cake tester.
- Create a thick lemon glaze by whisking lemon juice and icing sugar.
- Your delicious lemon sourdough cake is ready to devour!
- Cook Time: 1 hr 5 mins
- Category: dessert
Keywords: sourdough lemon cake
Glazed Lemon Sourdough Pound Cake Recipe
What You’ll Need For This Recipe
- Flour: You can use any type of flour you like, I like to choose all-purpose flour, but you can also use einkorn flour, though you may need to make slight adjustments to the wet ingredients.
- Sugar: I like to use brown sugar, along with other sweet ingredients like maple syrup.
- Lemons: You can really use any type of lemon you have, they’ll all produce similar results. I like to use Meyer lemons for that organic lemon flavor.
- Butter: Make sure the butter is at room temperature before proceeding with the recipe. You can also go one step further and add some lemon essential oil, but if this is your first attempt at this recipe, you might want to hold back, unless you’re looking for a very lemony-tasting cake!
Why Use a Sourdough Starter For This Recipe?
Sourdough starter transforms an ordinary cake into a moist and tender treat. It slows down the gluten development and increases the acidity of your batter to help tenderize the dough and bake a tender cake, with more fluff and a deliciously delicate crumb.
What Does Sourdough Lemon Cake Taste Like?
Your sourdough lemon cake will taste just like any ordinary cake, except that it will be absolutely delicious! You’ll taste hints of lemon, followed by a subtle sourdough tanginess that only enhances the lemony flavors.
Tips For The Best Sourdough Cake
- Did you know that you could make this recipe without a sourdough starter? Simply substitute the starter with ¼ cup flour and yogurt (I’ve got a homemade yogurt recipe!).
- Make sure you have loads of organic lemons because you’ll need the zest.
- For the best texture, it’s important to cream the butter and brown sugar together for 5 minutes.
- You can alternate between a thicker or thinner glaze depending on how much icing you plan to use, and what type of taste you’re going for. A thicker glaze would provide a very sweet and potent lemony flavor, while a thinner glaze is a literal drizzle of heaven. Whatever you prefer, just remember to enjoy!
More Sourdough Recipes
If you’re a fan of sourdough recipes, then perhaps you’d like to take a tour of our sourdough discard recipes. Where your sourdough discard is put to some good use.
From cinnamon rolls (or cinnamon bread) to banana bread, sourdough discard is certainly the next best thing!
Another recipe you might like incorporating fruits into sourdough is my sourdough fruit loaf recipe! Please check it out.
More holey sourdough here!
- Sourdough Doughnuts with Strawberry and Apple Pie Cream
- Fluffy Sourdough Doughnuts
- Delicious Homemade Sourdough Baked Donuts Recipe
More cake sourdoughs here:
Sourdough Lemon Cake – FAQs
Can You Add Lemon to Sourdough Starter?
You can certainly add lemon to your sourdough starter, although it isn’t absolutely necessary.
How do You Make Kris Jenner’s Lemon Cake?
For Kris Jenner’s famous lemon cake recipe you’ll need:
1 pack of Duncan Hines Signature Deliciously Moist Lemon Supreme Cake Mix, 1 pack of Jell-O Instant Pudding and Pie Filling, 1/2 cup of vegetable oil, 4 eggs, 1 cup of water, fresh lemon juice, and powdered sugar.
Preheat the oven to 350F, meanwhile grease a bundt pan. Next combine the cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, water, and oil in a large mixing bowl, and beat until smooth.
Bake this in the oven for 55 minutes, then remove it and let it sit in the pan for 30 minutes.
For the glaze, squeeze the juice of one lemon in a bowl, add 1 cup of sugar, and beat. Pour this on top of the cake, refrigerate for 30 minutes, then serve and enjoy!